Preparation: 5 minutes, Cooking: 2 minutes
This is a fun chocolate dessert to make when you don’t have much time. Perfect for when friends call around unexpectedly. It is a one bowl recipe, and is not difficult. This recipe is cooked in the microwave which makes it very easy, but you could also bake in the oven if you don’t use a microwave.
It uses Natvia instead of sugar and canola oil (rich in good fats) rather than butter. It contains a small amount of dark chocolate, but the serving size is not overindulgent so will not hurt the waistline significantly, but at the same time allows you to have a ‘chocolate treat’.
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons Natvia
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or melted butter/margarine)
- 3 tablespoons good quality dark chocolate chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- In a large bowl, place all dry ingredients (flour, Natvia, cocoa, baking powder, salt) and combine thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Into this bowl, add the wet ingredients (egg, milk, oil, vanilla essence) and the chopped chocolate.
- Add variations if using any.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Divide mixture amongst 2 microwave safe mugs.
- Optional variation: Place a teaspoon of peanut butter in the centre of the filled mug and mixture YUM!).
- Cover mug with cling wrap.
- Place in microwave and cook one at a time.
- Cooking times will vary as microwaves settings are very different from one another. Cook on medium heat for 30 seconds and check to see if cooked. Pudding should be firm but will also have a soft centre.
- Continue to cook on 10 second intervals until cooked.
Tips and Tricks
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 chopped fresh dates
- If you prepare this in an oven give it atleast 10 to 15 minutes in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees. Adjust time and heat settings as per your requirement.Use a ramekin. Insert a stick into the cake and if it comes out clean then the cake is ready.