Preparation: 25 minutes, Cooking: 60 minutes
- 125g dark cooking chocolate
- ½cup light margarine or light butter
- 1 cup Natvia
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- ½cup apple sauce
- ½cup self raising flour
- ½cup cocoa powder
- 1 cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup Natvia
- 2 teaspoons light margarine or light butter
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place the chocolate, margarine/butter, Natvia, coffee and water into a large microwave-safe dish and microwave on medium-low for 2 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Stir the ingredients then return them to microwave for another 2 minutes on medium-low. Stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Beat the egg whites then add them to the chocolate mix along with the apple sauce. Sift all the self-raising flour and cocoa into bowl then gently stir ingredients until they are combined.
- Pour the mixture into 19cm round cake tin coated with cooking spray and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the centre.
- Allow the cake to cool on a cooling rack, then spread the icing over the cake.
Note: mud cakes can sometimes crack on the top. Any cracks can be covered up with the icing.
- Grind the Natvia into a fine power using a mortar and pestle.
- Put the ground Natvia into a bowl and sift in the cocoa.
- Add margarine/butter and milk until a smooth icing is made.
- Spread the icing over the cake, then refrigerate.
Tips and Tricks
- For a thicker and milkier icing, add light milk powder to the icing mix.