Preparation: 15 minutes, Cooking: 45 minutes
- 1 small-medium onion (cut into 8)
- 400g broccoli (cut into florets and use the stalk)
- 1 garlic clove (halved)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vegemite
- 1 ½ teaspoons Natvia
- 25g plain whole meal flour
- 450ml milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely fresh chopped basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: generous handful of grated tasty cheese
- Put aside a large handful of the broccoli florets and place the remainder (including stalk) in a large saucepan together with the onion, garlic and vegemite, Natvia and 200ml hot water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then put in food processor with flour and process until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, add the remaining ingredients, including the remaining florets and at medium heat for 8–12 minutes.
- Stir through cheese, add salt and pepper and serve immediately.